    SubjectRe: Fwd: Patch to control VGA bus routing and active VGA device.
    On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:33:20PM -0700, Grant Grundler wrote:
    > > > If it is intended to work with multiple IO Port address spaces,
    > > > then it needs to use the pci_dev->resource[] and mangle that appropriately.
    > >
    > > There is no resource for some of the I/O port space that cards respond to.
    > Yes - I've heard several graphics cards are horrible broken WRT address
    > decoding. Are PCI quirks supposed to handle that sort of thing?

    No, PCI quirks are for fixing broken things. VGA cards are entitled to
    3c0-3df and all their 10-bit aliases. I've been thinking for a while that we should mark the 10-bit aliases of ISA devices as used ... ie:

    Unfortunately, that may break some legitimate setups, but is hinted at
    being a good idea in the EISA docs I've read. My laptop uses only the
    10-bit aliases of motherboard space (x000-x0ff, x400-x4ff, x800-x8ff,
    xc00-xcff) for devices, except for the ISA bridge, which gets:
    1180-11bf : 0000:00:1f.0
    1180-11bf : pnp 00:0b

    The K6-2 is similar; only 10-bit aliases of motherboard space except for:
    0a79-0a79 : isapnp write

    Possibly a better solution (less likely to break things) would be to allow
    drivers to reserve the 10-bit aliases too. Something like this:

    static inline void request_isa_alias_regions(unsigned long start,
    unsigned long n, const char *name)
    int base;
    for (base = 0x400; base < 0x10000; base += 0x400) {
    request_region(base + start, n, name);

    and then call that in drivers/video/console/vgacon.c

    Russell, would that allay your issues with the kernel io resource database?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.022 / U:1.092 seconds]