SubjectRe: Fwd: Patch to control VGA bus routing and active VGA device.
On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 12:33:20PM -0700, Grant Grundler wrote:
> > > If it is intended to work with multiple IO Port address spaces,
> > > then it needs to use the pci_dev->resource[] and mangle that appropriately.
> >
> > There is no resource for some of the I/O port space that cards respond to.
> Yes - I've heard several graphics cards are horrible broken WRT address
> decoding. Are PCI quirks supposed to handle that sort of thing?

No, PCI quirks are for fixing broken things. VGA cards are entitled to
3c0-3df and all their 10-bit aliases. I've been thinking for a while that we should mark the 10-bit aliases of ISA devices as used ... ie:

Unfortunately, that may break some legitimate setups, but is hinted at
being a good idea in the EISA docs I've read. My laptop uses only the
10-bit aliases of motherboard space (x000-x0ff, x400-x4ff, x800-x8ff,
xc00-xcff) for devices, except for the ISA bridge, which gets:
1180-11bf : 0000:00:1f.0
1180-11bf : pnp 00:0b
The K6-2 is similar; only 10-bit aliases of motherboard space except for:
0a79-0a79 : isapnp write

Possibly a better solution (less likely to break things) would be to allow
drivers to reserve the 10-bit aliases too. Something like this:

static inline void request_isa_alias_regions(unsigned long start,
unsigned long n, const char *name)
int base;
for (base = 0x400; base < 0x10000; base += 0x400) {
request_region(base + start, n, name);
and then call that in drivers/video/console/vgacon.c

Russell, would that allay your issues with the kernel io resource database?