    SubjectRe: Patch 1/6 introduce sysctl
    On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 11:36 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
    > Arjan van de Ven <> writes:
    > > This first patch of the series introduces a sysctl (default off) that
    > > enables/disables the randomisation feature globally. Since randomisation may
    > > make it harder to debug really tricky situations (reproducability goes
    > > down), the sysadmin needs a way to disable it globally.
    > A global sysctl doesn't make much sense to me for this. If you
    > want to get some program running you don't want to impact your
    > system daemons. And a non root user couldn't enable it anyways,
    > which can be annoying if it is needed to get some binary working.
    > If anything I would make it a personality flag so that it can
    > be set per process.

    I actually wanted both; eg a global "whack it off" and a per process
    flag for all the reasons you state.
    I have no objection to remove the global "whack it off" flag, however,
    for testing this stuff in -mm it might be useful to have a simple "turn
    it off" option.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.020 / U:36.276 seconds]