    SubjectRe: 2.6.11-rc2-mm1: SuperIO scx200 breakage
    On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 10:14:34AM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > That's simply not true. The amount of patches submitted is extremly
    > huge and the reviewers don't have time to look at everythning.
    >
    > If no one replies it simply means no one has looked at it in enough
    > detail to comment yet.

    How do people get to know this? Grape vines and crystal balls are
    inherently unreliable.

    I think that if someone overlooks the patches when they're on the mailing
    lists and then complains when they're merged into the kernel, they have
    very little justification when trying to make it the patch submitters
    problem. It's clearly an overall failing of the community to have enough
    resources to review the patches before inclusion.

    Frequently I end up with the situation where *NO* *ONE* seems interested
    in my patches and I throw them at Linus anyway after months have gone by.
    Maybe I'm just lucky that no one bothers to read my patches or everyone
    is implicitly exstatic with them. Nevertheless, I'm forced by the lack
    of response from LKML to follow precisely the same rule - no response
    implies people are happy. In reality, not doing so would mean I'd never
    get any patches merged which is unacceptable.

    So, if the community has a problem with enough time to review patches,
    the community must get more (good) patch reviewers. We can't go around
    blaming the patch submitters for a community failing.

    --
    Russell King
    maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/