    SubjectRe: thoughts on kernel security issues
    On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Jesse Pollard wrote:

    > On Tuesday 25 January 2005 15:05, linux-os wrote:

    > > This isn't relevant at all. The Navy doesn't have any secure
    > > systems connected to a network to which any hackers could connect.
    > > The TDRS communications satellites provide secure channels
    > > that are disassembled on-board. Some ATM-slot, after decryption
    > > is fed to a LAN so the sailors can have an Internet connection
    > > for their lap-tops. The data took the same paths, but it's
    > > completely independent and can't get mixed up no matter how
    > > hard a hacker tries.
    >
    > Obviously you didn't hear about the secure network being hit by the "I love
    > you" virus.
    >
    > The Navy doesn't INTEND to have any secure systems connected to a network to
    > which any hackers could connect.

    What's hard about that? Matter of physical network topology, absolutely no
    physical connection, no machines with a 2nd NIC, no access to/from I'net.
    Yes, it's a PITA, add logging to a physical printer which can't be erased
    if you want to make your CSO happy (corporate security officer).

    > Unfortunately, there will ALWAYS be a path, either direct, or indirect between
    > the secure net and the internet.

    Other than letting people use secure computers after they have seen the
    Internet, a good setup has no indirect paths.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc