    SubjectRe: Kernel 2.6.11-rc1/2 goes Postal on LTP
    Bryce Harrington wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Jan 2005, Chris Wright wrote:
    >
    >>* Bryce Harrington (bryce@osdl.org) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well, I'm not having much luck. strace isn't installed on the system
    >>>(and is giving errors when trying to compile it). Also, the ssh session
    >>>(and sshd) quits whenever I try running the following growfiles command
    >>>manually, so I'm having trouble replicating the kernel panic manually.
    >>
    >>Sounds very much like oom killer gone nuts.
    >>

    >>># growfiles -W gf14 -b -e 1 -u -i 0 -L 20 -w -l -C 1 -T 10 glseek19 glseek19.2
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, if anyone wants to investigate this further, I can provide
    >>>access to the machine (email me). Otherwise, I'm probably just going to
    >>>wait for -rc2 and see if the problem's still there.
    >>
    >>Wait no longer, it's here ;-)
    >

    > Hmm, still the kernel is going nutso. LTP and everything else on the
    > system is getting killed, including the test manager process.
    >
    > Below's a bit more info scraped from the console. This is from a run on
    > RH 9.0. It looks like LTP got through 722 of its 2270 tests before the
    > kernel goes postal on it. This time it got through all the growfile
    > commands before it died (see bottom of this post), however it looks like
    > the same growfile cmd I reported earlier is the one causing the problem.
    >
    > When I run:
    >
    > mkfifo gffifo18;
    > strace growfiles -b -W gf13 -e 1 -u -i 0 -L 30 -I r -r 1-4096 gffifo18 &> /tmp/growfiles_strace_log.txt
    >
    > The following happens:
    >
    > * I get this strace log: http://developer.osdl.org/bryce/growfiles_strace_log.txt
    > * The ssh session dies and returns to login prompt
    > * A bunch of stuff similar to below is spewed to console

    Similar for me, easy to reproduce (3 times today).
    Here's a kernel messages log, with 32 processes killed,
    mostly hotplug, but also bash (2x), runltp, & some daemons.

    I could not login and do anything else, but I could/did
    SysRq-T, P, M, S, U, B to reboot. These are also in the log.

    log:
    http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/oom/oom_kill.txt

    config:
    http://developer.osdl.org/rddunlap/oom/config-2611rc2