SubjectRe: knfsd and append-only attribute: "operation not permitted"
Trond Myklebust wrote:

>fr den 21.01.2005 Klokka 17:44 (+0300) skreiv Vladimir Saveliev:
>

>> fs/nfsd/vfs.c:nfsd_open() refuses to open append only files.
>

>Append-only is an unsupported concept in the all existing revisions of
>the NFS protocol. In fact, NFS has no support for append writes at all:
>they have to be emulated by the clients.

OK, but that certainly shouldn't preclude read access. The way it is
now, you can't even list append-only directories. It seems like this
check should treat append-only files as read-only, only failing to open
them if write access is requested, rather than failing all the time like
it does now.

In this particular case, I'm not using append-only files, but rather
using immutable files and append-only directories to create an archival
space where things can be added but not changed. Even if the protocol
can't deal with append-only regular files, isn't it possible to allow
mkdir but not rmdir?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.037 / U:0.180 seconds]