SubjectRe: linux capabilities ?
* jnf (jnf@innocence-lost.us) wrote:
> I have been playing a little here and there with linux capabilities, and
> seem to be hitting a few snags so I was hoping to obtain some input on
> their current status. The kernel on the box in question is 2.6.10, with
> the CAP_INIT_EFF_SET macro modified to allow init to have CAP_SETPCAP.

This is not exactly safe. It was removed on purpose. See this paper:
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/papers/setuid-usenix02.pdf

> I am mostly trying to accomplish this so that I can run syslog as a
> non-root user and as I understand it by digging through the source, one
> should be able to accomplish this with the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability-
> however this does not appear to be true ?

BTW, CAP_SYS_ADMIN is a lot of privileges, so even this would not be as
secure as you might hope.

> in kernel/printk.c I see
>
> error = security_syslog(type)
> if (error)
> return error ;
>
> which is defined in something like include/linux/security.h as a pointer
> to cap_syslog(), which in turn is defined in security/commoncap.c where I
> see:
>
> if ((type != 3 && type != 10) && !capable(CAP_SYS_ADMIN))
> return -EPERM
> return 0;
>

> Type 3 is:
> * 3 -- Read up to the last 4k of messages in the ring buffer.

3 doesn't require any permissions. It's like doing 'dmesg.'

> So when I give the process CAP_SYS_ADMIN I still cannot seem to read from
> /proc/kmsg, I also tried giving it CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE just to test to see if
> DAC's were the problem but that didn't seem to help any.

Since /proc/kmsg is 0400 you need CAP_DAC_READ_SEARCH (don't necessarily
need full override). Otherwise, you are right, you do need CAP_SYS_ADMIN.
Or just use syslog(2) directly, and you'll avoid the DAC requirement.

> So with that said, anyone have any idea's as to what I need to do and any
> details on the current state of the capabilities would be helpful.

The best way is to drop the caps from within the syslogd. Otherwise
you will gain/lose all caps on execve() due to the way caps actually
effectively follow uids. Here, I threw together an example of some
other bits of code I have laying around (run it as root).

thanks,
-chris
--
Linux Security Modules http://lsm.immunix.org http://lsm.bkbits.net
/* Copyright (c) Chris Wright <chrisw@osdl.org>

static void usage(void)
{
printf("Usage: read_syslog options\n");
printf("-u uid\n -p {use /proc/kmsg (default)}\n -s {use syslog(2)}\n");
}

static void dumpcred(void)
{
uid_t ruid, euid, suid;
gid_t rgid, egid, sgid;
cap_t caps = cap_get_proc();

getresuid(&ruid, &euid, &suid);
getresgid(&rgid, &egid, &sgid);

printf(" Real Eff Saved\n");
printf("User %-8d%-8d%-8d\n", ruid, euid, suid);
printf("Group %-8d%-8d%-8d\n", rgid, egid, sgid);

if (caps)
{
char *p = cap_to_text(caps, NULL);
if (p) {
printf("Caps: %s\n\n", p);
cap_free(p);
}
cap_free(caps);
}
}

static int usecap(const char *caps)
{
int rc = -1;
cap_t capset = cap_from_text(caps);
if (capset)
{
rc = cap_set_proc(capset);
if (rc) {
perror("cap_set_proc");
}
cap_free(capset);
}
return rc;
}

static int drop_privs(uid_t uid, gid_t gid, const char *caps)
{
int rc;
dumpcred();
prctl(PR_SET_KEEPCAPS, 1);
rc = setresgid(gid, gid, gid);
if (rc == -1) {
perror("setresgid");
goto out;
}
rc = setresuid(uid, uid, uid);
if (rc == -1) {
perror("setresuid");
goto out;
}
rc = usecap(caps);
if (rc == -1) {
perror("usecap");
goto out;
}
out:
dumpcred();
return rc;
}

main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
uid_t new_uid = 500;
gid_t new_gid = 500;
int c, fd, rc, use_proc = 1;
char *caps = "cap_dac_read_search,cap_sys_admin=ep";
char buf[1024];

while ((c = getopt(argc, argv, "u:g:ps")) != -1) {
switch(c) {
case 'u':
new_uid = atoi(optarg);
break;
case 'g':
new_gid = atoi(optarg);
break;
case 'p':
/* default */
break;
case 's':
use_proc = 0;
caps = "cap_sys_admin=ep";
break;
default:
usage();
exit(1);
break;
}
}

memset(buf, 0, sizeof(buf));
if (drop_privs(new_uid, new_gid, caps) == -1) {
exit(1);
}
if (use_proc) {
fd = open("/proc/kmsg", O_RDONLY);
if (fd == -1) {
perror("open");
exit(1);
}
rc = read(fd, buf, sizeof(buf));
if (rc == -1) {
perror("read");
exit(1);
}
} else {
rc = syslog(2, buf, sizeof(buf));
if (rc == -1) {
perror("syslog");
exit(1);
}
}
printf("%s\n", buf);
}

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.103 / U:0.152 seconds]