SubjectRe: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
Hi!

> > > What's wrong with
> > >
> > > fuser -k /mnt && umount /mnt
> >
> > 1. Would need suid.
>
> It needs suid only if you aren't root and you want to kill processes you
> don't own.
>
> Yes, this might cause problems e.g. if users are allowed to mount their
> cdroms, but simply allowing them to kill processes of other users who
> access this device isn't a solution, too.
>
> > 2. Is a mindless slaughter of important processes.
>
> It's what Pavel wanted to get included in umount.
>
> Usually, you'll let fuser give you the list of processes and inspect
> them manually.
>
> > 3. Is a race condition.
>
> Then put it into a while loop that executes until umount returns 0.
>
> I still fail to see why I should implement half of fuser in umount.
> Either you are working at the command line and know about fuser or you
> are working through a GUI which can offer you a "kill all applications
> accessing this device" button that calls fuser.

Okay, so the right solution is probably something more like

while umount /mnt; do
fuser -km -TERM /mnt
sleep 1
fuser -km /mnt
done

Not sure how many command line users can do this... Perhaps including
fumount script doing this is good idea?
Pavel