    SubjectRe: the umount() saga for regular linux desktop users
    Hi!

    > > > What's wrong with
    > > >
    > > > fuser -k /mnt && umount /mnt
    > >
    > > 1. Would need suid.
    >
    > It needs suid only if you aren't root and you want to kill processes you
    > don't own.
    >
    > Yes, this might cause problems e.g. if users are allowed to mount their
    > cdroms, but simply allowing them to kill processes of other users who
    > access this device isn't a solution, too.
    >
    > > 2. Is a mindless slaughter of important processes.
    >
    > It's what Pavel wanted to get included in umount.
    >
    > Usually, you'll let fuser give you the list of processes and inspect
    > them manually.
    >
    > > 3. Is a race condition.
    >
    > Then put it into a while loop that executes until umount returns 0.
    >
    > I still fail to see why I should implement half of fuser in umount.
    > Either you are working at the command line and know about fuser or you
    > are working through a GUI which can offer you a "kill all applications
    > accessing this device" button that calls fuser.

    Okay, so the right solution is probably something more like

    while umount /mnt; do
    fuser -km -TERM /mnt
    sleep 1
    fuser -km /mnt
    done

    Not sure how many command line users can do this... Perhaps including
    fumount script doing this is good idea?
    Pavel