SubjectRe: starting with 2.7
On Sun, Jan 02, 2005 at 09:03:32PM +0100, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> I was wondering in the tram today are we close to branching
> off to 2.7
> Do the mighty kernel developers have solid plans, ideas, etc
> to start experimental code

I have a plan to never ever stop experimental code, which is to
actually move on the 2.6.x.y strategy if no one else does and these
kinds of complaints remain persistent and become more widespread.

There is a standard. Breaking things and hoping someone cleans up
later doesn't work. So it has to be stable all the time anyway, and
this is one of the observations upon which the "2.6 forever" theme is
based. Frozen "minimal fix trees" for the benefit of those terrified of
new working code (or alternatively, the astoundingly risk-averse) are a
relatively straightforward theme, which kernel maintainers should be
fully able to faithfully develop.

-- wli

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.186 / U:0.156 seconds]