SubjectRe: printk loglevel policy?
Date
On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:41:34 -0800,
"Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> wrote:
>Jim Nelson wrote:
>> Or does printk() do some tracking that I didn't see as to where in the
>> kernel the strings are coming from?
>
>That kind of garbled output has been known to happen, but
>the <console_sem> is supposed to prevent that (along with
>zap_locks() in kernel/printk.c).

Using multiple calls to printk to print a single line has always been
subject to the possibility of interleaving on SMP. We just live with
the risk. Printing a complete line in a single call to printk is
protected by various locks. Print a line in multiple calls is not
protected. If it bothers you that much, build up the line in a local
buffer then call printk once.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:2.010 / U:1.892 seconds]