    SubjectRe: thoughts on kernel security issues

    * John Richard Moser <> wrote:

    > > There was a kernel-based randomization patch floating around at some
    > > point, though. I think it's part of PaX. That's the one I hated.
    > PaX and Exec Shield both have them; personally I believe PaX is a more
    > mature technology, since it's 1) still actively developed, and 2) been
    > around since late 2000. The rest of the community dissagrees with me
    > of course, [...]

    might this disagreement be based on the fact that exec-shield _is_ being
    actively developed and is in active use in Fedora/RHEL, and that split
    out portions of exec-shield (e.g. flexmmap, PT_GNU_STACK, NX) are
    already in the upstream kernel?

    (but no doubt PaX is fine and protects against exploits at least as
    effectively as (and in some cases more effectively than) exec-shield, so
    you've definitely not made a bad choice.)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.020 / U:2.816 seconds]