    SubjectRe: pipe performance regression on ia64

    Linus> I don't know how to make the benchmark look repeatable and
    Linus> good, though. The CPU affinity thing may be the right thing.

    Perhaps it should be split up into three cases:

    - producer/consumer pinned to the same CPU
    - producer/consumer pinned to different CPUs
    - producer/consumer lefter under control of the scheduler

    The first two would let us observe any changes in the actual pipe
    code, whereas the 3rd case would tell us which case the scheduler is
    leaning towards (or if it starts doing something real crazy, like
    reschedule the tasks on different CPUs each time, we'd see a bandwith
    lower than case 2 and that should ring alarm bells).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.023 / U:87.024 seconds]