    SubjectPatch to control VGA bus routing and active VGA device.
    Attached is a patch to control VGA bus routing and the active VGA
    device. It works by adding sysfs attributes to bridge and VGA devices.
    The bridge attribute is read only and indicates if the bridge is
    routing VGA. The attribute on the device has four values:

    /* echo these values to the sysfs vga attribute on a VGA device */
    enum eEnable {
    VGA_DISABLE_THIS = 0, /* If this VGA is enabled, disable it. */
    VGA_ENABLE_THIS = 1, /* Disable all VGAs then enable this VGA, mark
    as active VGA */
    /* Used while resetting a board, board being reset may not be the active VGA */
    VGA_DISABLE_ALL = 2, /* Remember active VGA then disable all VGAa and
    devices */
    VGA_ENABLE_ACTIVE = 3, /* Make sure all VGAs are disabled, then
    reenable active VGA */

    States 2 and 3 are using during a reset cycle. You need to disable the
    active VGA, run the reset on the new card, turn it off and then
    restore the active one.

    I cannot get this code to work. I have a machine with three buses, the
    main one, a PCI one and an AGP one. If I turn off routing from one
    bridge and turn it on on the other, I cannot get the VGA card to
    respond to the IO requests. There must be something more to routing
    VGA than what is in this code. The patch is pretty simple so it
    shouldn't be too hard to find the problem. I know my machine can route
    VGA since vbios.vm86 does it when reseting my secondary cards.

    Can any of you PCI/VGA experts tell me what is wrong? Patch is against
    current Linus BK.

    This code, plus the ROM code already in the kernel, plus a tiny piece
    to generate a hotplug event, is enough to let me write a user space
    app for secondary card reset.

    Jon Smirl
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.021 / U:26.856 seconds]