    <1106001113.13265.474.camel@tglx.tec.linutronix.de>
    From: Robert Wisniewski <bob@watson.ibm.com>
    Bcc: bob@watson.ibm.com,rosnbrg@watson.ibm.com

    Thomas Gleixner writes:
    > On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:32 -0500, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
    > > You're either on crack or I don't know how to read english. Here's what
    > > you said:
    >
    > Maybe you should read your own comment about ad-hominem attacks earlier
    > in this thread and consider if it might apply to you.
    >
    > I know, what I have said. I said reduce the filtering to the absolute
    > minimum and do the rest in userspace.
    >
    > The now builtin filters are defined to fit somebodys needs or idea of
    > what the user should / wants to see. They will not fit everybodys
    > needs / ideas. So we start modifying, adding and #ifdefing kernel
    > filters, which is a scary vision.
    >
    > Enabling and disabling events is a valid basic filter request, which
    > should live in the kernel. Anything else should go into userspace, IMO.
    >
    > tglx

    I believe (and Karim can correct me if I'm wrong) the idea is to have
    groups of events that can be disabled and enabled via a one word mask. No
    checking multiple variables, no #ifdefing, something very streamlined. By
    userspace I assume you mean post-processing, i.e., if the user/library/etc
    needs to log events they use the same simple facility.

    I think we agree to optimize/streamline performance for the gathering and
    do work in the post processing. There is an outstanding patch that makes
    strides in this direction.

    -bob

    Robert Wisniewski
    The K42 MP OS Project
    http://www.research.ibm.com/K42/
    bob@watson.ibm.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.028 / U:33.264 seconds]