From: Robert Wisniewski <>

Thomas Gleixner writes:
> On Mon, 2005-01-17 at 15:32 -0500, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> > You're either on crack or I don't know how to read english. Here's what
> > you said:
> Maybe you should read your own comment about ad-hominem attacks earlier
> in this thread and consider if it might apply to you.
> I know, what I have said. I said reduce the filtering to the absolute
> minimum and do the rest in userspace.
> The now builtin filters are defined to fit somebodys needs or idea of
> what the user should / wants to see. They will not fit everybodys
> needs / ideas. So we start modifying, adding and #ifdefing kernel
> filters, which is a scary vision.
> Enabling and disabling events is a valid basic filter request, which
> should live in the kernel. Anything else should go into userspace, IMO.
> tglx

I believe (and Karim can correct me if I'm wrong) the idea is to have
groups of events that can be disabled and enabled via a one word mask. No
checking multiple variables, no #ifdefing, something very streamlined. By
userspace I assume you mean post-processing, i.e., if the user/library/etc
needs to log events they use the same simple facility.

I think we agree to optimize/streamline performance for the gathering and
do work in the post processing. There is an outstanding patch that makes
strides in this direction.

Robert Wisniewski
The K42 MP OS Project