SubjectRe: VST patches ported to 2.6.11-rc1
Hi!

> I really hate sf download system... Here are those patches (only
> common+i386) ported to 2.6.11-rc1.

Good news is it booted. But I could not measure any powersavings by
turning it on. (I could measure difference between HZ=100 and
HZ=1000).

Hmm, it does not want to do anything. threshold used to be 1000, does
it mean that it would not use vst unless there was one second of quiet
state? I tried to lower it to 10 ("get me HZ=100 power consumption")
but it does not seem to be used, anyway:

root@amd:/proc/sys/kernel/vst# cat successful_vst_exit
0
root@amd:/proc/sys/kernel/vst# cat external_intr_exit
0
root@amd:/proc/sys/kernel/vst#

> +config HIGH_RES_RESOLUTION
> + int "High Resolution Timer resolution (nanoseconds)"
> + depends on HIGH_RES_TIMERS
> + default 1000
> + help
> + This sets the resolution in nanoseconds of the CLOCK_REALTIME_HR and
> + CLOCK_MONOTONIC_HR timers. Too fine a resolution (small a number)
> + will usually not be observable due to normal system latencies. For an
> + 800 MHz processor about 10,000 (10 microseconds) is recommended as a
> + finest resolution. If you don't need that sort of resolution,
> + larger values may generate less overhead.

Ugh, if minimum recomended value is 10K, why does it have 1K as a
default?

> + The system boots with VST enabled and it can be disabled by:
> + "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/vst/enable".

It definitely booted with vst disabled here... echo 1 did the trick
through.

>short_timer_fns This is an array of 5 entries of the form
> 0xc110ea80 when the timer expires.
>Both of these arrays are kept as circular lists and read back such
>that
>the latest entry is presented to the reader first. The entries are
>cleared when read.

...it is bad idea to have them world-readable, then.
Pavel