SubjectRe: 2.4.28(+?): Strange ARP problem
On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 06:50:29AM -0800, Scott Doty wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We use Linux extensively here at Sonic.net. Our web servers have two
> NIC's -- a NIC with a public IP address, and a NIC on our SAN (with NetApps).
>
> When we tried to upgrade to 2.4.28, we encountered a problem with NetApp
> reachability, which turns out to have been a problem with ARP: we
> were seeing two ARP entries for the NetApp IP's. One would be correct, and
> one would be "incomplete".
>
> Occasionally, a system would glom onto the incomplete entry, and NFS
> connectivity would tank. This doesn't happen with 2.4.27.
>
> We'd like to upgrade to 2.4.29-rc2, but we have much trepidation about doing
> so. I certainly don't want to treat the list as "our own personal help
> desk" (as warned about in the FAQ), but was hoping someone could shed some
> light on the problem. I think either myself or one of our guys can write a
> patch to fix it, if someone would point us in the right direction.
>
> Thank you,

Scott,

I have no idea of what might be causing such regression - I see a few ARP
related changelogs on v2.4.28-rc2:

o [IPV4]: Set ARP hw type correctly for BOOTP over FDDI
o [IPV4]: Permit the official ARP hw type in SIOCSARP for FDDI

Maybe you can try earlier v2.4.28's (-rc1 for one) to check where
the problem starts to happen?

David, Herbert, any ideas?

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.051 / U:0.072 seconds]