    SubjectRe: page table lock patch V15 [0/7]: overview
    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > > > Changes from V14->V15 of this patch:
    > >
    > > I wonder what everyone thinks about moving forward with these patches?
    > I was waiting for them to settle down before paying more attention.

    They seem to have settled down, without advancing to anything satisfactory.
    7/7 is particularly amusing at the moment (added complexity with no payoff).

    > My general take is that these patches address a single workload on
    > exceedingly rare and expensive machines.

    Well put. Christoph's patches stubbornly remain a _good_ hack for one
    very specific initial workload (multi-parallel faulting of anon memory)
    on one architecture (ia64, perhaps a few more) important to SGI.
    I don't see why the mainline kernel should want them.

    > If they adversely affect common
    > and cheap machines via code complexity, memory footprint or via runtime
    > impact then it would be pretty hard to justify their inclusion.

    Aside from 7/7 (and some good asm primitives within headers),
    the code itself is not complex; but it is more complex to think about,
    and so less obviously correct.

    > Do we have measurements of the negative and/or positive impact on smaller
    > machines?

    I don't think so. But my main worry remains the detriment to other
    architectures, which still remains unaddressed.

    Nick's patches (I've not seen for some while) are a different case:
    on the minus side, considerably more complex; on the plus side,
    more general and more aware of the range of architectures.

    I'll write at greater length to support these accusations later on.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.045 / U:27.664 seconds]