SubjectRe: Sparse LUN scanning - 2.4.x
Jim Zajkowski wrote:

> On 2005-01-11 19:07:53 -0500, Michael Clark <michael@metaparadigm.com>
> said:
>
>>> The problem is this: since LUN 0 does not show up -- specifically,
>>> it can't read the vendor or model informaton -- the kernel SCSI scan
>>> does not match with the table to tell the kernel to do sparse LUN
>>> scanning... so the RAID does not appear.
>>

>> Add the Xserve with the BLIST_SPARSELUN flag into the
>> blacklist/quirks table in drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c
>

> It already is in the quirks list.
>
> The problem is that LUN 0 does not show up on this machine, so the
> quirks table doesn't work. Looking at /proc/scsi/scsi shows the
> device but only sorta:

Okay. I believe there is a patch floating around for 2.4 that is used in
some of the other distro's kernels that adds REPORT LUNS scanning as
well as a flag to force LUN scanning (although not sure it works if LUN
0 is not present).

A pragmatic solution may be to just add the echo scsi add-single-device
x x x x > /proc/scsi/scsi into your early boot or configure one of your
slices on LUN 0 (if the Xserve RAID allows that). 2.6 (and RHEL 4)
support the REPORT LUNS so should work there although there are some
messages on linux-scsi about the Xserve RAID's specific handling of LUN
0. Probably good idea to post to linux-scsi.

~mc

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.429 / U:0.008 seconds]