    SubjectRe: User space out of memory approach
    Hi,

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:57:49 +0100, Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de> wrote:
    > On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 16:46 -0400, Ilias Biris wrote:
    > > well looking into Alan's email again I think I answered thinking on
    > > the wrong side :-) that the suggestion was to switch off OOM
    > > altogether and be done with all the discussion... tsk tsk tsk too
    > > defensive and hasty I guess :-)
    > >
    > > Thinking it in another way alan's email could have the dimension of
    > > switching off overcommitment (and thus OOM) whilst in the user-space
    > > ranking stage to avoid reentrancy and invocation of oom again and
    > > again before killing something. It also solves the issue of using
    > > timed/counted resources which is plain ugly and evil. It would though
    > > be necessary to switch OOM back on when the OOMK has finally done the
    > > kill.
    > >
    > > Did I get it right this time Alan?
    >
    > I don't get it at all.
    >
    > Fixes for wrong invocation, reentrancy avoidance, removal of the ugly
    > and evil timer,counter hacks are in the wild since more than 6 weeks.
    > They solve the problem without any userspace interaction.
    >
    > The userspace provided preferrable victim list is an improvement of the
    > generic heuristic and therefor imperfect selection mechanism and nothing
    > else.

    Once again the user space ranking of PIDs for OOM killer purposes didn't
    propose a new selection mechanism. This misinterpretation is misleading the
    discussion of whether it may have som use in embedded devices or not.
    Even though, I believe that for PCs environment it has a great potential
    when you think that admins don't stay all the time in front of a computer.
    Once and while they also have a rest :). In these cases, instead of simply
    start ranking a deamon could dispatch a msg to her/him saying the system
    is approaching a red zone.

    br,

    Edjard
    --
    "In a world without fences ... who needs Gates?"