    SubjectRe: User space out of memory approach
    On Tue, Jan 11, 2005 at 10:30:46AM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > So I need a userspace change in order to solve a kernel problem ?

    Allowing userspace to tune is a great idea. However we cannot invoke
    userland at oom-time to make the decision, or it would be deadlock prone
    (userland may be swapped out or it might require minor allocations of
    memory, if we were to allow userspace to do the decision it would be
    required to be a mlockall userland and not allowed to do syscalls, and
    even then it could mess up with the stack or signal handlers). So the
    safe thing to do is to assign different ratings to different userspace
    tasks. Of course this is inherited from the childs. That is a reasonable
    approach IMHO. Kurt wrote that patch, I only ported it to a more recent

    This way you can rate your important services and the not important

    Anyway as you've mentioned in a earlier email, there were more
    fundamental problems than the selection algorithm, the userspace rating
    was the lowest one in the prio list.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.019 / U:181.840 seconds]