    SubjectRe: Proper procedure for reporting possible security vulnerabilities?
    On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Chris Wright wrote:

    > * Jesper Juhl ( wrote:
    > > On Mon, 10 Jan 2005, Steve Bergman wrote:
    > > > Actually I am having a discussion with a Pax Team member about how the recent
    > > > exploits discovered by the grsecurity guys should have been handled. They
    > > > clam that they sent email to Linus and Andrew and did not receive a response
    > > > for 3 weeks, and that is why they released exploit code into the wild.
    > > >
    > > > Anyone here have any comments on what I should tell him?
    > > >
    > > I don't know what other people would do or what the general feeling on
    > > the list is, but personally I'd send such reports to the maintainer and
    > > CC lkml, if there is no maintainer I'd just send to lkml.
    > Problem is, the rest of the world uses a security contact for reporting
    > security sensitive bugs to project maintainers and coordinating
    > disclosures. I think it would be good for the kernel to do that as well.
    Problem is that the info can then get stuck at a vendor or maintainer
    outside of public view and risk being mothballed. It also limits the
    number of people who can work on a solution (including peole getting to
    work on auditing other code for similar issues). It also prevents admins
    from taking alternative precautions prior to availability of a fix (you
    have to assume the bad guys already know of the bug, not just the good

    Jesper Juhl

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.028 / U:4.464 seconds]