SubjectRe: Proper procedure for reporting possible security vulnerabilities?
Horst von Brand wrote:

>Indrek Kruusa <indrek.kruusa@tuleriit.ee> said:
>

>>Steve Bergman wrote:
>>

>>>There seems to be some confusion in certain quarters as to the proper
>>>procedure for reporting possible kernel security issues.
>>>REPORTING-BUGS says send bug reports to the maintainer of that area of
>>>the kernel.
>>>

>>Unfortunately my english is not on a par with this but this document
>>*needs* updating at every corner and after that the direct hyperlink to
>>this document on the kernel.org should be placed above links of the
>>kernel source (currently it is somewhere at the middle of the page). And
>>the note "please read before using vanilla kernel" should be in red. It
>>*seems* to me that there is a big cap between reality and this
>>document/common sense (in the days of heavily patched kernels and 2.6
>>devel. model). There should be several separate parts in this document:
>>for kernel developers, for distro makers, for "smart" users, for
>>"enthusiasts"....
>>

>Write something up, I'd be happy to help polishing English. And you'll find
>more helpers on LKML.

sorry, but... yes, it was meant as "I am ready to help" :) but
definitely I am not the right person to start to change this document. I
can assist as linux user who need some information about bug reporting
and how/why I should use sources from kernel.org at all. I have no idea
what is desired by kernel developers (obviously they need good reports
from informed users and less annoying traffic in LKML...maybe this
letter is similar, sorry) but I have seen that those old school
enthusiasts who are going to compile their custom kernel after every new
release or -ac - they are not happy 'cause something which was part of
their life (faster, smaller and maybe safer custom system) is now quite
hard to achieve. Explanation would be nice for them, maybe even in
kernel README.

thanks,
Indrek

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:09    [W:0.050 / U:0.724 seconds]