    Wichert Akkerman wrote:
    > Previously Andrew Morton wrote:
    >
    >>But I'll grant that one cannot go adding new metadata to, say, C files this
    >>way. I don't know how useful such a thing is though.
    >

    > That is actually one of the few places where a bit of metadata would be
    > very useful. Right now there is no way to indicate in what encoding a
    > source is written: ascii, utf-8, ucs16, etc. are all possible. But a
    > compiler or interpreter has no good way to figure that out.

    [NOTE: I am 5000 messages behind. Please forgive any redundancy.]

    This reminds me of a paper someone wrote on how HFS(+) stored the file
    type (actually, application that knows how to use the file) as metadata,
    separate from the filename. He was lamenting the fact that the Mac was
    being 'corrupted' by the PC's broken philosophy of including as part of
    the filename something which should not be. He also mentioned that
    Windows' feature of hiding the extension doesn't cut it. One benefit, I
    recall, was that you can't change the association accidentally when
    changing the filename. Another thing was that file name and file type
    are not semantically related, so they shouldn't be squished together.

    I don't remember this well enough, so I can't argue the point, but
    having the file type as metadata separate from the filename has SOME
    amount of elegant appeal to me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:3.082 / U:0.276 seconds]