    SubjectRe: multi-domain PCI and sysfs
    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 21:15:09 -0700
    Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@engr.sgi.com> wrote:

    > On Tuesday, September 7, 2004 4:11 pm, David S. Miller wrote:
    > > This is a real touchy area btw, because if there is no
    > > VGA card, such I/O port accesses are going to trap and
    > > we need to have a common way to handle that somehow.
    >
    > So I take it your platform won't soft fail the accesses and return all 1s?

    Nope, you get a machine check trap. We have to catch these when doing
    PCI config space accesses in the kernel too. Grep for pci_poke_* in
    arch/sparc64/kernel/*.c

    > A potentially cleaner option which Ben and I would prefer is to use
    > the vga device Jon is creating to do legacy I/O with explicit
    > read/write or ioctl calls.

    Definitely. Note that xfree86 already has a signal handler for this
    stuff, ppc generates traps like sparc64 too.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.045 / U:92.796 seconds]