SubjectRe: Linux Routing Performance inferior?
Good afternoon, Ram,

On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Ram Chandar wrote:

> Quoted from a recent mail to freebsd mailing list.
>
> "FreeBSD (5.x) can route 1Mpps on a 2.8G Xeon while
> Linux can't do much more than 100kpps"
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2004-September/004840.html
>
> Is this indeed the case?

I'm sure others here have far better examples, but one post to the
netfilter-devel list last December provided an example of a firewall that
could process 580kpps with netfilter/conntrack turned off. Granted, the
post noted that adding netfilter brought that down to 450kpps, and adding
conntrack on top of that brought it down to 295kpps, but all three of
those numbers are well over the claimed 100kpps.
Cheers,
- Bill

"While it may be true that a watched pot never boils, the one
you don't keep an eye on can make an awful mess of your stove."
-- Edward Stevenson
(Courtesy of Slashdot)