    SubjectRe: [patch] Re: [discuss] f_ops flag to speed up compatible ioctls in linux kernel
    > So I wander what goes on here- the syscall returns a long but
    > libc cuts the high 32 bit?

    System calls are always long, otherwise the syscall exit code cannot
    check properly for signal restarts.

    glibc seems to indeed truncate.

    > Now that I think about it,for compat if you start returning 0 in low
    > 32 bits you are unlike to get the effect you wanted ...
    > The ioctl_native could be changed but that would make it impossible
    > for compatible ioctls to just use the same pointer in both.
    >
    > So what do you think - should I make just the native ioctl a long,
    > or both, and document that the high 32 bit are cut in the compat call?

    both + document.

    > > The main thing missing is documentation. You need clear comments what
    > > the locking rules are and what compat is good for.
    >
    > Would these be best fit in the header file itself, or in a new
    > Documentation/ file?

    Header file should be enough.

    > > And you should change the code style to follow Documentation/CodingStyle
    > I'll go over it again. Something specific that I missed?

    e.g. your use of white space.

    -Andi

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.040 / U:29.328 seconds]