SubjectRe: [patch] generic-hardirqs.patch, 2.6.9-rc1-bk14

* Christoph Hellwig <hch@infradead.org> wrote:

> > i disagree. It's the same as the VFS model: we have generic_block_bmap()
> > which a filesystem might or might not make use of. It's still around
> > even if no filesystem makes use of it but do we care? I'd prefer fixing
> > our linking logic to get rid of unused functions than complicating code
> > and the architecture with conditionals.
>
> Completley different model. VFS supports lots of filesystem
> implementation with one interface. IRQ code is a a single
> implementation for each architecture.

not at all different model. 90% of the important drivers (no,
drivers/s390 doesnt count) are shared between multiple architectures
using the same interface: request_irq()/free_irq() and a handler with an
enumerated irq vector.

> > is there any architecture that cannot make use of kernel/hardirq.c _at
> > all_?
>
> s390 doesn't need it at all because it doesn't have the concept of hardirqs.
>
> At least arm{,26}, m68k{,nommu} and parisc and sparc{,64} use extremly
> different models for irq handling

it could be a bit like nommu - a noirq model.

i agree with enabling an architecture to exclude _all_ of hardirq.c, but
specifying per-function is excessive - if an architecture can make use
of some of them then weak symbols will get rid of the rest.

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.177 / U:0.504 seconds]