SubjectRe: Generating kernel crash dumps in elf core file format
Date
On Wednesday 08 Sep 2004 3:20 pm, Vivek Goyal wrote:
> Hi Amit,
>
> We are already working in this direction. Kexec based crash dump
> approach exports a device interface to read/save the crash dump in elf
> core file format and user shall be able to analyze the dumps using gdb.
>
> Initial set of patches were posted by Hari on LKML for review. Please
> have a look at following thread.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=109274443023485&w=2
>
> Very soon Hari is going to post the final set of patches to be included
> in -mm tree.

Hi Vivek,

Nice!

Could you also tell us about the state of user level utilities required to
save dumps in elf format? Are they going to be available any time soon?

Thanks.
-Amit

> Thanks
> Vivek
>
> On Wed, 2004-09-08 at 13:13, Amit S. Kale wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > We are thinking of implementing the generation of linux kernel crash
> > dumps in elf core file format. This will enable users to analyze kernel
> > crash dumps using gdb. It should be good tool to complement KGDB. KGDB
> > could be used during development stage for live kernel analysis and
> > LKCD-GDB could be used with the same capabilities for analysis of
> > customer problems and in house release testing.
> >
> > We would like to know if people think this will be useful or they are
> > more comfortable with current way of kernel panic analysis using existing
> > LKCD.
> >
> > Any ideas/suggestions/pointers to existing work in this area are most
> > welcome.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > -Amit Kale
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel"
> > in the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.036 / U:0.108 seconds]