Horst von Brand wrote:

>Spam <spam@tnonline.net> said:
>

>>Christer Weinigel <christer@weinigel.se> said:
>>

>[...]
>

>>>Could you please try summarize a few of the arguments that you find
>>>especially compelling? This thread has gotten very confused since
>>>there are a bunch of different subjects all being intermixed here.
>>>

>> Indeed. We are discussion changes to the heart of Linux. It is bound
>> to get a little heated :/
>>

>True. But without any specific applications, just "this would be nice to
>have", the discussion can't go forward.
>

>>>What are we discussing?
>>>

>>>1. Do we want support for named streams?
>>>

>>> I belive the answer is yes, since both NTFS and HFS (that's the
>>> MacOS filesystem, isn't it?) supports streams we want Linux to
>>> support this if possible.
>>>

>>> Anyone disagreeing?
>>>

>> No :)
>>

>There are many people around here who disagree (that is precisely the heart
>of the discussion). I for one don't think Linux has to get $RANDOM_FEATURE
>just because $SOME_OTHER_OS has got it. Either the feature stands on its
>own _in the context of POSIX/Unix/Linux_ (possibly as an extension or
>modification of said standards) or it isn't worth it.
>

>>>2. How do we want to expose named streams?
>>>

>>> One suggestion is file-as-directory in some form.
>>>

>Which is broken, as it forbids hard links to files.

No, it forbids hard links to the directory aspect of the file-directory
duality.

>Now you have 3 principal types of objects: Directories, containers (files
>with streams), and files (no streams).

No, the reiser4 design supports only files and directories, but makes
them able to do what people use streams for.

The reiser4 design is based on a hatred of streams, and a desire to show
that adding more features to files and directories makes streams
unnecessary.

Hans

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.457 / U:0.112 seconds]