    SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives (was: silent semantic changes with reiser4)

    > Salut,

    > On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 09:50:31PM +0200, Spam wrote:
    >> Their libraries are huge and memory hogging which so many Linux
    >> users just do not like.

    > This is rather a fud argument: both the gnome VFS code and the
    > KIOserver/KIOslave code aren't really large. You don't want to use
    > them for a busybox/tinylogin system, however.

    Then it is good. Just I see no programs other than Gnome or KDE apps
    that are using them.

    >> What if a user doesn't want KDE or Gnome? Would all files created
    >> with either be broken?

    > The files still work well, just that you can't access them over the
    > old fancy URL schemes.

    No only, but if you cp then with a non KDE/Gnome app then you will
    loose the meta-data and extra info too. That was my point.

    >> I doubt that something like file streams and meta-data can
    >> successfully be implemented purely in user-space and get the same
    >> support (ie be used by many programs) if this change doesn't come
    >> from the kernel. I just do not see it happen.

    > Actually, practical discordianism. If you develop a common API,
    > there'll always be people disagreeing.

    > GTK+ with all its features is just cool. Desktop warping is a really
    > nice thing. But there are people out there who don't want to use
    > it. They use QT, or even plain old Athena Widgets. So what? Will we be
    > implementing the X toolkits into the kernel?

    This is certainly not what I said or wanted.

    > In case of marketing it's up to the distributions to provide something
    > concise so everyone can use their programs through a coherent
    > namespace. (I.e. port all the apps they ship to gnome-vfs or kio).

    Do you really believe this will happen? Good if it did. I do not
    believe it. And I certainly do not see the thousands of man hours
    needed to actually provide all the patches as a benefit.

    ~S

    > Tonnerre

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.024 / U:29.380 seconds]