Salut,

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 06:43:21AM +0200, Grzegorz Ja??kiewicz wrote:
> >Then I guess OS X ships a broken implementation of cp, yes?
>
> Nope, GUI handles it perfectly. it's maybe 0.1% of users of MacOS that
> acctually care about cp being broken.

Actually, there is a (non-GNU) free implementation of the fileutils on
MacOS/X that treats and copies the .DS_Store entries (or say is
metadata aware).

And even though I might agree on that the principle of having
per-directory database files is somewhat hacky, it appears to work
like a charm (As long as userland programs do care about it).

On Linux we have a solution that actually works just the same and is a
lot cooler. It's called POSIX extended attributes...

Tonnerre

PS. If you want to talk further on the subject of how MacOS/X does it
and how I would do it using extended attributes, discuss it in private
mail with me, since MacOS/X isn't really Linux. And no, I don't want a
single daemon do that, but I want it to be a standard implementation
that libc and fileutils support.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.340 / U:0.884 seconds]