    SubjectRe: New proposed DRM interface design

    > Are you suggesting for instance, that RedHat might pick up individual drivers
    > out of Xorg or better still Mesa, rather than waiting for a full stable
    > release? That would probably be the biggest help - by comparison kernel
    > releases are very frequent.

    Lets take an example, I'm DA graphics card vendor, I write a DRI driver
    for my brand new 3d graphics cards (they rock btw :-), people buy loads of
    them, I want to give them something on my website that they can deploy to
    use their new card, like a driver for ANotherOS. Now I just want to give
    them an XFree DDX, DRI driver and a drm module (in source form, that they
    can use no matter what kernel), now at the moment no matter what kernel
    they have, the DRM is a completly separate entity - the DRM code deals
    with it,

    If we make a library split that sits inside the kernel, their DRM can
    stop working if someone busts the interface, hence the idea of having the
    core reg/dereg in the kernel, and locking it down, then they can ship a
    complete DRM source tree, and do as they wish as long as they interface
    properly with the core...

    Dave.

    --
    David Airlie, Software Engineer
    http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
    pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.045 / U:30.432 seconds]