SubjectRe: New proposed DRM interface design
> Are you suggesting for instance, that RedHat might pick up individual drivers
> out of Xorg or better still Mesa, rather than waiting for a full stable
> release? That would probably be the biggest help - by comparison kernel
> releases are very frequent.

Lets take an example, I'm DA graphics card vendor, I write a DRI driver
for my brand new 3d graphics cards (they rock btw :-), people buy loads of
them, I want to give them something on my website that they can deploy to
use their new card, like a driver for ANotherOS. Now I just want to give
them an XFree DDX, DRI driver and a drm module (in source form, that they
can use no matter what kernel), now at the moment no matter what kernel
they have, the DRM is a completly separate entity - the DRM code deals
with it,

If we make a library split that sits inside the kernel, their DRM can
stop working if someone busts the interface, hence the idea of having the
core reg/dereg in the kernel, and locking it down, then they can ship a
complete DRM source tree, and do as they wish as long as they interface
properly with the core...

David Airlie, Software Engineer / airlied at
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person