SubjectRe: New proposed DRM interface design
> > OK, I've found www.kernel.org, and clicked on the 'latest stable kernel' link.
> > I got a file called "patch-2.6.8.1.bz2". I tried to install this but
> > nothing happened. My i915 still doesn't work. What do I do now?
>
> You could start getting a clue.

Which is the problem, Keith was acting as a user with no clue, and why
should a user who can't get his graphics card working worry about kernel
upgrades, along with X upgrades, the DRI has a workable snapshot process
now that allows users to use their DRI supported graphics card now, not in
6 months time when the X release happens, and the distro picks up the X
release, they run a script it builds a module against their kernel,
breaking this for a small decrease in memory usage in an uncommon use
case and as far as I can see no better maintainability (or worse) is a bit
of an ask... we aren't coming up with these problems just to annoy kernel
developers they are real world issues.. that the DRI team deal with not
the kernel team....

Dave.

--
David Airlie, Software Engineer
http://www.skynet.ie/~airlied / airlied at skynet.ie
pam_smb / Linux DECstation / Linux VAX / ILUG person

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.256 / U:0.076 seconds]