SubjectRe: NVIDIA Driver 1.0-6111 fix
On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 17:02, Tim Fairchild wrote:
> Users don't really care about open and closed source. They just want
> to play quake 3 (etc).

I have never understood why these people don't just run Windows. I have
also never understood why people make so much noise about having to use
a closed source driver to play A CLOSED SOURCE GAME! What's next, a
petition to open the UT2004 source? Sheesh...

> I've never had an oops that was specifically caused by the nvidia module, tho
> I suppose it does happen.

And I have never seen one either. I am just using the OOPS'es as an
indication of how many Linux users use this driver. It's WAY more than
I expected. The open source nv.o module works fine for me, I don't see
how the 2D would need to be faster, or how you would even tell the
difference.

I suspect many of these users are ricers who tweak CFLAGS and compare
benchmark scores all day, and cannot bear to use the open source driver
if it will make their machine 1% slower. I was surprised to find that
apparently there are open source ATI 3D drivers after all but some
people are petitioning ATI anyway because these 'aren't as good' as the
binary ones. So fix it already, this is open source, and if you can't,
then please learn to write code or STFU.

Lee

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.073 / U:0.120 seconds]