    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.9-rc3
    Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

    > | And thats one of the reasons I never dl the bz2 version.
    >
    > what has bz2 to do with that?

    Some people believe bz2 to be buggy or otherwise less tolerant of
    corruption. For most people these things don't seem to come up; I've
    never had problems with either despite frequent work with large
    compressed datasets.

    > | You should have started with a fresh unpack of 2.6.8, not 2.6.8.1
    > | I just checked my scrollback and there is no such error here.
    >
    > well its a bit confusing. 2.6.8.1 is the latest stable right, normaly
    > patches are applied against the latest stable. Let's just hope this NFS
    > fix is on the rc series if you have to apply against 2.6.8

    Linus decided that patches will always be off the previous
    non-extraversion tarball. Note that -rc3 is not relative to -rc2, so in
    that way its consistent. The reason Linus gave is that such
    trivial-but-important bugfixes may come *after* the next version has
    releases or release cantidates, so this is the only sane way. For
    example, if another tiny code bug motivated making a 2.6.8.2, the
    release cantidates shouldn't have to be rediffed. Hopefully it makes
    sense now :)

    - Jim Bruce

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.025 / U:30.816 seconds]