    SubjectRe: FSCK message suppressed during booting? (2.6.9-rc2)
    Chiaki wrote:
    > Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
    >
    >> In article <415B5034.6060809@yk.rim.or.jp> you wrote:
    >>
    >>> That is, under previous 2.4.xx kernel, I would have gotten
    >>> "The disk was not unmounted cleanly. Running fsck." or
    >>> some such message and fsck printed its
    >>> progress bar using ASCII characters.
    >>

    >> Well, this is not a kernel function, your Distribution is calling fsck in
    >> the bootup scripts, and fsck is calling the filesystem specific
    >> implementation and this is checking if fsck is needed.
    >>
    >> If you do not get this messages anymore contact your linux distribution
    >> provider.
    >>

    > Thank you for the comment.
    >
    > Well, I have installed 2.6.9-rc2 on my own after having used
    > Debian with my own updated kernel 2.4.2x series for a few years now.
    > I certainly upgraded moduleutil and other packages to run
    > 2.6.9-rc2, but have not specifically updated fsck.
    > (I DID ran apt-get -u update and apt-get -u upgrade to pick up
    > the latest packages a week ago or so.).
    >
    > Agreed that the starting fsck under stock Debian scheme
    > may depend on 2.4.xx features which may not be available
    > on 2.6.yy series kernel. I will get in contact with fsck
    > package (or boot script) maintainer to see
    > if we can improve this.
    >
    > >Do you habe maybe a journalling filesystem? Or do you have set some
    > flags to
    > > force the skip of fsck (/fastboot)
    > >

    > Well, I am running 2.6.9-rc2 from loadlin as follows.
    >
    > loadlin 269rc2 root=/dev/sda6 ro vga=3 scsihosts=sym53c8xx:tmscsim
    >
    > I noticed the fsck message lines were missing on the reboot after
    > a hard-hung forced me to hit reset button in the end.
    > The message lines were missing, but it seems that fsck
    > certainly was running invisibly. Thus the
    > boot sequence halted as if the computer got hung again
    > until fsck finished and bootting continued. This was very
    > annoying.

    OK, maybe I was not clear enough in the first post.

    Fsck seemed to run during the reboot
    after a reset button was hit to recover from a hard hung.

    However, NO OUTPUT message from fsck is shown on the console.
    It progressed silently : I could hear the disk access
    (head movement) and this made me very uncomfortable.
    With a test kernel accessing disk furiously without
    telling me what it does during otherwise smooth booting
    process after a hard reset, I may need to consider
    the chance of kernel running wild and trashing the file system.
    So that is why I rebooted the system using 2.4.xx which I have
    used for quite a long time to make sure that the file system(s)
    are fsck'ed and then cleanly remounted.

    Anyway, before contacting the Debian package maintainer, I found
    the following.
    IF during the booting the environment variable TERM
    is set to "dumb", "network", "unknown" or not set at all
    the progressive horizontal bar display (-C option to fsck)
    is disabled in the Debian startup script.

    Maybe the TERM setup for console during booting has changed between
    kernel 2.4.2x and 2.6.9-rc2?

    A little more detail:

    I checked the Debian startup script myself.
    Now I notice that if the fsck is invoked in a startup script and $TERM is
    set to "dumb" or "network" or "unknown" or not set at all, this
    progress bar display (-C option to fsck)
    is not done by the Debian start up script.

    Maybe between 2.4.2x and 2.6.9-rc2,
    the boot console $TERM setting changed?

    --- begin Excerpt from /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh

    if [ "$doswap" = yes ]
    then
    [ "$VERBOSE" != no ] && echo "Activating swap."
    swapon -a 2> /dev/null
    fi

    ... omission...

    #
    # The actual checking is done here.
    #
    if [ "$rootcheck" = yes ]
    then
    if [ -f /forcefsck ]
    then
    force="-f"
    else
    force=""
    fi

    if [ "$FSCKFIX" = yes ]
    then
    fix="-y"
    else
    fix="-a"
    fi

    spinner="-C"
    case "$TERM" in
    dumb|network|unknown|"")
    spinner="" ;;
    esac
    # This Linux/s390 special case should go away.
    if [ "${KERNEL}:${MACHINE}" = Linux:s390 ]
    then
    spinner=""
    fi

    echo "Checking root file system..."
    fsck $spinner $force $fix -t $roottype $rootdev
    FSCKCODE=$?

    --- end Excerpt

    I think I saw Activating Swap message. But I am not sure if I saw
    "Checking root file system..." message during a reboot after the RESET
    button was hit due to a hung. I was not paying attention to that.
    But definitely, I didn't see at all the
    growing ASCII character-base horizontal bar with a spinning char on
    the right (/ - \ |). This is a way to show progress bar. This is
    shown with the -C option to fsck. I usually see this progressive
    bar for fsck during reboot under 2.4.2x kernel.
    So obviously "-C" is reset to "". I am NOT using s390 :-)

    (OR the output from this shell is eaten by some other mechanism.
    I need to understand the stdio/stdout setting of the shell
    invoking this script further.)

    I will check with the maintainer of Debian package further.

    --
    int main(void){int j=2003;/*(c)2003 cishikawa. */
    char t[] ="<CI> @abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz.,\n\"";