SubjectRe: Consistent kernel hang during heavy TCP connection handling load
On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 09:34, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Andrew A. wrote:
> > Jan,
> >
> > Thanks for responding. When I got no responses, I searched for ways to get more data out of the kernel--I must say that it has been
> > quite a journey to identify what is working, where to get it, and how to install it when it comes to kernel
> > debugging/crash-data-gathering tools. LKCD for example, is not available at the location you'll eventually arrive at if you search
> > for it in google ... it's not obvious what it's state is (current/defunct/superceded), there's KDB, KGDB, netdump, netconsol,
> > netlog, diskdump (conusingly known as lkdump) etc. etc. And then, even if you do figure out what tools are current, you then have
> > to match the tool to the particular kernel version you are running -- which can be a task and a half unto itself.
> >
> > Is diskdump available for 2.4? Can anyone comment on the choice of tools below?
> >
> > Anyway, I have also done all of the following:
> >
> > (1) Enabled netdump/netconsole on 2.6.8.1-521 Fedora Core kernel, after first fixing the startup scripts. Fixes can be found at
> > www.memeplex.com/Linux.html Note that after I also fixed crash.c to be a 2.6 compliant kernel module, and loading it to test
> > netdump, I always end up with a vmcore-incomplete image approx 45k in size, on the netdump-server. Can anyone tell me if this is
> > absurdly small, and if so, what might be the solution? The client box always reboots so I suspect too-small timeouts are the issue.
>
> My experience is 100% with RH kernels, but the dump should be about
> memory size, in my case 2.5G or 4G and it is. But I did see hangs which
> resulted in the size you mention, a few k and hang.

Yep, the vmcore should be around the size of the memory on the dumping
system. The size is too small and vmcore-incomplete wasn't made into
vmcore, so it's incomplete.

Do you have access to making a new kernel? Here's a fix that I think
will help. This will speed things up and help with the timeout issues.

drivers/net/netdump.c :

1) Initialize jiffy_cyles to 1000 * (1000000/HZ) -

-static unsigned long long t0, jiffy_cycles;
+static unsigned long long t0, jiffy_cycles = 1000 * (1000000/HZ);

2) Change prev_jiffies from an "int" to an "unsigned long" in
print_status() function -

- static int prev_jiffies = 0;
+ static unsigned long prev_jiffies = 0;

Let me know if this helps,

Thanks,

Dan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.073 / U:0.292 seconds]