    On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 10:48:46AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
    > What I don't understand is the tie between Linux having such streams and
    > Windows doing it for Samba to work. Netatalk has always handle this for
    > Macintosh and portably. Presumably any Samba support would need to
    > handle OS's without wacky files for portability too ?

    I'm not 100% sure on the samba side, but I think there is a pretty
    significant difference. On the Mac, the problem of copying forks and
    metadata onto non-Mac systems was recognized early on. There are several
    standard formats for serialized versions of this data. If you take the
    files that netatalk writes and copy them directly to a Mac separately,
    there are tools that can convert them back to the original format with
    all the data intact. I've never seen such a thing for NTFS named streams.

    Brad Boyer
    flar@allandria.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:05    [W:0.021 / U:0.712 seconds]