    SubjectRe: 2.6.9-rc2-mm1 swsusp bug report.
    Hi.

    On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 01:45, Pavel Machek wrote:
    > Hi!

    > > >Normal usage; the pattern of pages being freed and allocated inevitably
    > > >leads to fragmentation. The buddy allocator does a good job of
    > > >minimising it, but what is really needed is a run-time defragmenter. I
    > > >saw mention of this recently, but it's probably not that practical to
    > > >implement IMHO.
    > >
    > > Well, by this stage it looks like memory is already pretty well shrunk
    > > as much as it is going to be, which means that even a pretty capable
    > > defragmenter won't be able to do anything.
    >
    > True, defragmenter would not help.
    >
    > Anyway, conversion from order-8 allocation should be pretty easy, but
    > I never seen that failure case and this is first report... So I'm not
    > doing that work just yet. [There's big chunk of changes waiting in
    > -mm, that needs to be merged because any other work should be done.]

    Are we still planning on having suspend2 replace swsusp eventually? It
    was a lot of work to switch from those high order allocations, and if we
    are still going to replace swsusp, perhaps it's would be a better use of
    your time to do other things?

    Regards,

    Nigel

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:31.132 seconds]