SubjectRe: lost memory on a 4GB amd64

I just discovered the linux-smp list and decided to summarize the topic
and take the opportunity to cross-post to there.

an archive of the discussion can be found e.g. here:

The machine at hand is the Tyan Tiger K8W with two Opterons 246
(http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8w.html) and 4GB of memory

we are using vanilla 2.6.8.1 kernel.

* if the memory is set up in the ordinary way in the BIOS, then
approximately 512MB are lost (PCI/AGM adressing and stuff), but
everything is stable
* if the memory is set up in the BIOS to be in two chunks (e.g. 3GB at
the address range 0-3GB and 1GB at 4-5GB address range), then
- memtest86 tells everything is fine.
- if we run a non-SMP kernel, everything is stable
- if we run an SMP kernel, it crashes as soon as approx. 1GB of memory
is allocated and set to 0 (see the test case C-program in my
previous mail)

Is there anything we can do? Any logs I can provide? Something to try out?

Thanks,
Sergei