    SubjectRe: ArcNet and 2.6.8.1
    ArcNet can't compete with ethernet as LAN: It can only run 10 Mbit whereas
    100 Mbit ethernet can run roughly 50 Mbit in practice.

    But ArcNet doesn't degrade in performance when you try to fill it up as
    ethernet does. Thus ArcNet is very good for real-time applications - and
    is used for such in the industry. But that is not an area where people
    usually use Linux.

    But don't worry, the windoze drivers aren't good either. The official
    driver for the PCMCIA card crashed Windows XP - with no chance of fixing
    them as I have with the Linux one :-)

    Esben

    On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, David S. Miller wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:59:58 +0200 (METDST)
    > Esben Nielsen <simlo@phys.au.dk> wrote:
    >
    > > After I got the arcnet device running labtop computer froze up. I have
    > > turned off preemtion and SMP. It seems to make it more stable but I can't
    > > be conclusive.
    >
    > Based upon the fact that most Arcnet drivers set hw.open() to NULL,
    > and you're the first person to report this, I doubt arcnet is
    > getting any serious use or testing at all these days. Sorry :-/
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:31.244 seconds]