SubjectRe: OOM & [OT] util-linux-2.12e
DervishD wrote:

> Hi Olaf :)
>
> * Olaf Hering <olh@suse.de> dixit:
>

>>>then /etc/mtab can die. Comments? Better solutions?
>>>

>>Andries, /etc/mtab is obsolete since the day when /proc/self/mounts was
>>introduced. So, kill it today from your mount binary! TODAY. ...
>>

> Bad idea... ;))) I upgraded my 'mount' yesterday. I was using a
>mount from Debian, from 1998 more or less, that worked flawlessly
>except for the '--bind' feature and things like those. I used
>/etc/mtab as a symlink to /proc/mounts, and all worked OK except for
>the double root entry and the need to manually call losetup to delete
>unused /dev/loop entries.
>
> But after the upgrade I no longer could umount a filesystem that
>I mounted as 'user', because the device is a symlink and the 'user'
>option is not stored in /proc/mounts. So my problems were:

Using a mtab that is a link to /proc/mounts fails with quota too.
Quta tools read /etc/mtab looking for "usrquota" and or "grpquota"
mount options. These appear in a normal /etc/mtab but not in /proc/mounts,

so the tools gets the mistaken impression that no fs actually use quotas.

Helge Hafting

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.185 / U:0.600 seconds]