    SubjectRe: The argument for fs assistance in handling archives
    Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

    > On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    >>
    >> http://oss.oracle.com/projects/userfs/ has code that clues gnomevfs
    >> onto a kernel filesystem. The code is horrible, but it shows that
    >> it can be done.
    >
    > I do like the setup where the extended features are done as a "view"
    > on top of some other filesystem, so that you can choose to _either_
    > access the raw (and supposedly stable, simply by virtue of
    > simplicity) or the "fancy" interface. Without having to reformat the
    > disk to a filesystem you don't trust, or you have other reasons you
    > can't use (disk sharing with other systems, whatever).

    It'd be something similar to what clearcase does (not that I like
    clearcase, I hate it with a passion for other reasons!)

    On such a system, one would have multiple virtual views mounted (by
    root) under:

    /view/tar, /view/dpkg, /view/rpm, etc.

    for every regular file /home/joe/blah.tar

    the path /view/tar/home/joe/blah.tar/ is a directory where member of
    the archives directly accessible.

    old tools continue work as is. new tools can take a look on virtual
    views for virtual access.

    Not sure how such a system would work with the dentry cache.

    --
    Linh Dang