    SubjectRe: hotplug e1000 failed after 32 times
    At 7:34 PM -0400 9/17/04, Jeff Garzik wrote:
    >Even if you allocate and free board numbers as described, how
    >precisely do you propose to predict which settings belong to which
    >hotplugged board? Look at the problem, and you realize that the
    >board<->setting association becomes effectively _random_ for any
    >adapter not present at modprobe time.
    >The best model is to set these settings via netlink/ethtool after
    >registering the interface, but before bringing it up.

    It's certainly true that the driver-local index isn't usable for the
    association (not even if one remembers, say, the slot association,
    since a card can presumably be moved).

    Out of curiosity, though, isn't there a residual related problem, in
    that a reinserted card gets a new eth# as well? Not insurmountable, I
    suppose, but a bitch to automate.
    /Jonathan Lundell.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:78.896 seconds]