    SubjectRe: 2.6.9-rc2: "kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:473!"
    On Sat, 18 Sep 2004, Mike Kirk wrote:
    > Not sure what this means: but the system kept running and I only lost a
    > bzip2 process: 2.6.9-rc2 w/preempt AMD 2700+ on A7N8X motherboard, 1GB
    > DDR400:
    > ==============================
    > kernel BUG at mm/rmap.c:473!
    > EIP is at page_remove_rmap+0x29/0x40

    Was there a "Bad page state" message and backtrace shortly before this?
    I say "shortly" because I don't suppose bzip2 had been running for hours,
    I'd expect the underlying error to have occurred while it was running.

    BUG_ON(page_mapcount(page) < 0);

    recently changed to atomic from guarded by spinlock) have been after
    something elsewhere has freed a page it no longer owned, which has
    meanwhile got mapped into process address space.

    If that's the case this time around, then I hope the bad_page backtrace
    will shed light on what's freeing that shouldn't. But if there was no
    "Bad page state" message before, then I'll have to start worrying about
    rmap mapcount consistency.

    (The page_remove_rmap BUG follows as a consequence of bad_page resetting
    the mapcount on such a page. This is unsatisfactory: that code remote
    from the cause should force a BUG, whereas code nearer the cause try to
    continue without forcing a BUG. Just removing the BUG from mm/rmap.c
    would let me off the hook, but seems irresponsible. Adding a BUG into
    bad_page would revert an intentional relaxation. I don't know.)

    Hugh

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:60.940 seconds]