SubjectRe: lost memory on a 4GB amd64
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Sergei Haller (SH) wrote:

SH> AW> No - thats what I use. Do you have MTRR support enabled?
SH>
SH> yes.
SH>
SH> AW> I'll send you my .config file; Perhaps you could try that.
SH>
SH> I just had a look at it. tomorrow morning I'll try out some of the
SH> options.

I tried out many configurations of the kernel config, nothing helped.

now I switched off SMP and it runs stable! So what am I to do about it?

that's the summary:

* if the memory is configured in one chunk (0-4gb) then the SMP kernel
works, but I only have about 3.4 gb main memory. (I know why)

* if the memory configuration is as follows: the first 3gb ar at the
normal address range, the fourth gb is at the address range 4-5gb.
then all 4gb are available (not quite -- a few mb ere missing, but
thats ok) and
- the SMP kernel panics as soon as I start X or allocate about 1.6gb of
memory (maybe less would trigger that as well, that was the only test
I ran) ahh, kernel compillation runs fine.
- the non-SMP kernel runs stable.
- memtest86 runs fine

all kernels I mention are 2.6.8.1 vanilla.

What do you think? Is there anything I can do?

Sergei