    SubjectRe: [patch] remove the BKL (Big Kernel Lock), this time for real
    From
    On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 03:54:12PM -0700, David S. Miller wrote:
    > On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 15:51:02 -0700
    > Bill Huey (hui) <bhuey@lnxw.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Judging from how the Linux code is done and the numbers I get from
    > > Bill Irwin in casual conversation, the Linux SMP approach is clearly
    > > the right track at this time with it's hand honed per-CPU awareness of
    > > things. The only serious problem that spinlocks have as they aren't
    > > preemptable, which is what Ingo is trying to fix.
    >
    > This is what Linus proclaimed 6 or 7 years ago when people were
    > trying to convince us to do things like Solaris and other big
    > Unixes at the time.

    FreeBSD's SMPng project is stalled for the most part and developers that
    disagree with that approach have move onto the DragonFly BSD community.
    It has a much more top-down driven locking system that's conceptually
    CPU local called tokens, effectively deadlock free and difficult to misused.
    It's already been able to multi-thread the networking stack using lock-less
    techniques, while the FreeBSD-current tree had to retract their "all or
    nothing" approach with threading their network stack. Jeffery Hsu is
    the main developer pushing that subsystem.

    bill

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:62.092 seconds]