    SubjectRe: [RFC, 2.6] a simple FIFO implementation
    Stelian Pop wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Is there a reason there is no API implementing a simple in-kernel
    > FIFO ? A linked list is a bit overkill...
    > Besides my sonypi and meye drivers which could use this, there are
    > quite a few other drivers which re-implement the circular buffer
    > over and over again...
    > An initial implementation follows below. Comments ?

    - you don't need both size and len, just the length
    - you don't need a count of what's in the fifo, calc from tail-head
    - you don't need remaining, when the tail reaches the head
    you're out of data.
    - you want to do at most two memcpy operations, the loop is just
    unproductive overhead.
    - if the fifo goes empty set the head and tail back to zero so you don't
    wrap (assumes doing just two memcpy ops) when you don't need to

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:20.328 seconds]