    SubjectRe: journal aborted, system read-only
    On Thursday 16 September 2004 06:48, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
    >On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 06:03, Gene Heskett wrote:
    >> >Well, we really need to see _what_ error the journal had
    >> > encountered
    >> It just did it to me again, this time with 2.6.9-rc1-mm5.
    >> And as usual in these cases, the logs are spotlessly clean
    >> because /var is on /, which is on /dev/hda7, an syslog couldn't
    >> write when its read-only.
    >Possibility the first is to create a separate partition for /var;

    Thats now been done, but not w/o a minor disaster & an extra hour
    sorting out something heyu seems to have done. NDI when, but its log
    output in /var/tmp has been renamed from heyu.out to heyu.outttyS1
    and thats why xtend has been getting a tummy ache.

    I did have 2 partitions on that 200Gigger, one accidently way too big
    16GB swap and the rest as /amandatapes. The minor disaster was that
    I didn't wait till I had rebooted before I ran a mke2fs -j /dev/hdd2
    (the new /var, and the amanda useage partition was left exactly the
    same, but the kernel was still runing on the old partition table so
    it formatted the amanda partition. My bad...), so amanda is back to
    square one tonight but thinking it has a weeks backups to count on.
    But with a 7 day dumpcycle, it will be caught up in a week if I
    expand the tapetypes set size to 60Gb or so till it gets in balance.

    Anyway, I now have a 15GB /var to record this crap in.

    >possibility the second is to set up a serial console.

    Both of my seriel ports are busy, one is watching the ups, and the
    other is running x10 stuffs.

    So we'll have to take our chances that we can catch it in the logs.
    There was a single 'driver ready seek not complete' message in the
    log several days ago according to logwatch. Its about a year old
    120GB Maxtor, and smartd is watching both of them now without send me
    any telegrams (so far, that knocking sound is me, knocking on wood).

    > access to that log information, all we know is "there was an IO
    > error," and that's really not enough to narrow down the search. :-)
    > Stephen

    Anyway, now we wait, except I'm going to fire off the initial amdump
    right now after telling it there is enough space on its 'tape' do do
    a level 0 on everything. That might be interesting in itself.

    Cheers, Gene
    -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
    99.26% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly attorneys please note, additions to this message
    by Gene Heskett are:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.051 / U:78.484 seconds]