    SubjectRE: The ultimate TOE design

    In servers, both bottlenecks are there - if you look at the cost of TCP and
    filesystem processing at 10GbE, CPU is a huge problem (and will be for
    foreseeable future), even for fastest 64-bit systems.
    I agree though that bus and memory are bigger issues, this is exactly the
    reason for all these RDMA over Ethernet investments :-)
    Anyways, did not mean to start an argument - with all the new CPU, bus and
    HBA technologies coming to the market it will be another 18-24 months before
    we know what works and what doesn't...

    > intel would get rid of the big conspiracy in the form of
    > chipset division and just integrate the MC like AMD is, we'll
    > be on our our way to kill TOE and a lot of the network
    > processors (like the IXP). Dang, running Linux is more
    > exciting than microcoding things to fit into a 2Kword program store.
    > I rest my canadiana $.02
    > cheers,
    > jamal

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.026 / U:2.156 seconds]