SubjectRE: The ultimate TOE design
Date

In servers, both bottlenecks are there - if you look at the cost of TCP and
filesystem processing at 10GbE, CPU is a huge problem (and will be for
foreseeable future), even for fastest 64-bit systems.
I agree though that bus and memory are bigger issues, this is exactly the
reason for all these RDMA over Ethernet investments :-)
Anyways, did not mean to start an argument - with all the new CPU, bus and
HBA technologies coming to the market it will be another 18-24 months before
we know what works and what doesn't...
Leonid

>If
> intel would get rid of the big conspiracy in the form of
> chipset division and just integrate the MC like AMD is, we'll
> be on our our way to kill TOE and a lot of the network
> processors (like the IXP). Dang, running Linux is more
> exciting than microcoding things to fit into a 2Kword program store.
>
> I rest my canadiana $.02
>
> cheers,
> jamal

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans